Jana Shepard

Post your Shepards character profiles and back stories.
AlexiaRevan

Jana Shepard

Postby AlexiaRevan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:27 pm

Sorry for the no-elegant state of my profile , but (1) I never done this before and (2) I really don't have screenie of my various shepard .

I hope you don't mind that I won't be following the way you do profile . Because to me those things are irrelevant .

The only area I work hard at is usually the background . And I mean the ''who she was and how did she get here and how does that impact how she do things in the futur ' .

My favorite background is : Spacer - Ruthless .

I researched the background alot when I got Mass effect serie , I really wanted to see the combinaisons and reasons peoples will come with with choosing that background with that career . Was alot of fun too !

One thing I recall coming alot , was that Spacer was taken often because that shepard has a Mother . And some peoples didn't pick it because it come off as that one born with privilége easy life , no drama no nothing . In comparison to colonist (who survived a slaughter to everything she know , and Earthborn where you were born on the street and one can come up with tons of horrors befre shepard joined The Red Gang) .

I though about it alot , and in my experience being spacer doesn't mean you are without Angst and drama . I mean , the limit is the sky and imagination is the best author there is :mrgreen:

So that's why I took and that background became my favorite . My Shepard was born a spacer , she had both parent in the Alliance and it was unspoken but it was clear that she will follow suit in her parent foot step .

What one cannot determine in life , is that one small stupid action can change you forever and taint you and show who you really are inside .

That's why my shepard at some point in time , joined a group of Terra firma . At first it was mostly friends of friends hanging together .

Then ideas and frustrations started surfacing . And she found herself agreeing . Then fears were voiced , fears often lead to mistrust of others .

And before you know it , she was nodding her head . She was strong , she was a patriot like her parents and everything that was said around her felt natural . What was the point of serving if you didn't have a goal ? and Terra firma words were : true patriot care for earth and Humans ! there is no earth without humans !

Of course back then , it was mostly small comments made here and there . It was innocent . They were grooming her into something and she didn't know it . All she knew , she had friends . Great friends . Friends who looked up at her and had great hope in her and were proud of the path she gonna follow .

She still remember the jokes they all made about when she be higher in Rank and coming to visit them . All the medals she will earn , serving and doing the greater good .

Her mother frowned on the night meeting that were taking places but she didn't object . Her father was gone , but she believed he would understand .

One night of drinking and laughing out loud , that end up with a fist fight with a group of Aliens , and that led to an arrest . But not her , she run and met up with those who weren't arrested .

That night was an eye opener . Their own peoples , the police . Upholder of the Laws were against them . It was clear sign of corruption .

Shepard wasn't sure , but the others all agreed .

She had great friends , who always reassured her that being unsure was a good sign .

The years pass by , and she was in the alliance . Coming home was a pain . Her mother rarely was there but she was grateful her friends were there still .

And they were all too happy to keep a chair empty for her .

She share her missions and the thrill of fighting . And they tell her how a caffé is now owned by an Alien . Everyone would whisper words they weren't ready to yell ...yet .

Until the Skylian Blitz that is . Everyone heard about the colonies being Bombarded . Peoples slaughtered , others tortured or kidnapped .

One name came up : Batarians .

She saw red , and so did her friends .

How could the Alliance let something like this happen !! Why didn't they see them coming ! why are we paying them for ?

And then their hate turned toward the council . Of course the council wouldn't help . Of course they will chastie us instead of helping us . Of course they will take for the Batarians . Of course they don't care for us...we are expandable . we are only humans....

Then Torfan happen . She volunteered . She had to .

Those Batarians won't get away with what happen . She will make sure of that . No matter the cost . No matter what she had to do . She just had to make them PAY .

killing Batarians that surrounded is one thing . Killing your own officers who is trying to stop you is another .

It almost cost her . her whole career .

She still remember the debriefing . There were only her , an admiral and surprise her own Mother . Standing there in her uniform , arms crossed and the most heartbreaking ''I'm dissapointed in you '' face she ever seen on her .

She didn't understand though . She did the right thing . She defeated the ennemy , eradicated them . Taught them to expect payments for what they did .

But the briefing was also about the squad member she shot .

He got in the way , disobeied orders . Wouldn't listen to order . Tried to take her weapon from her...the shot rang , a surprised look on his face . It was fatal...she can still see his eyes when she closes hers .

This is a shepard , that will find redemption deep inside of herself . But the path she is walking isn't one of redemption . But one of understanding , one where she will have to learn that every life matter no matter if they are Aliens or Humans . And that radical actions have consequences .

She will learn trough her journey on the Normandy , that understanding others is harder then she though , for you have to open your mind and heart to see them as your equal..and only then you can see everything they are .

She will learn why while Torfan was Justified , her actions weren't .

What it mean to wear the Uniform of the Alliance , what she represent and what actions she must make while battling prejudice that come from the inside .
---------------
So yeah this my favorite background to play with . And I usually take the dialogues that come off as defensive as much as possible .

She will have no calm about shooting cerbrus agents (ME1) it is an eye for an eye . But doing good is harder then you think . And with the council and having to report to them just make it a nightmare .

Trough her journey in ME1 she will make friends , and learn what she believed in wasn't the whole truth and the galaxy is bigger and earth seem so small in comparison .

And no , by ME2 her mistrust against cerbrus is at its peak . So she won't be best friend with TIM . But she will get along with Miranda and Jacob .

She will almost cave to Ashley rant about Alien , but manage to come stronger then ever . Even though it mean she and Ash will never be friends .

Once she become a specter wich anderson and everyone believe is the greatest honor done to the humans . She feel like it's a gea . And she feel like that addict that must carry drugs and have to fight the eternal urge to just bust trough and go back to getting high .

Anyway , hope ya like :mrgreen:
♥♥♥Proud Sera Wifey♥♥♥ Proud Seranite The best Thread of all !
Put three humans in a room, there will be six opinions.-Samara Ѡ on the Bewbz side of the force Ѡ

Ground_Squirrel

Re: Jana Shepard

Postby Ground_Squirrel » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:32 pm

Interesting background (and look at that... she has a name :D)
As far as I know there is no specific format for posting your Shepard's profile. The point is to post some information about your Shepard's character. It doesn't matter if it's about the decisions your character made in the game or about your character's background.

I agree that the spacer background seems to be the one where your character is privileged with an easy childhood. But there are plenty of reasons why that could be deceiving.

Three of my Shepards have the spacer background and I haven't really considered their backgrounds as much as Renée's background. Hers was earthborn, sole survivor and I was working on a background for her. I even posted part of it on the old forum, but it was still a work in progress, which I really hope to finish one day.
Either way I'm sure it can't always have been easy for spacer Shepards. And you proved that by posting the background of Jana.

To me the relationship between spacer Shep and her mother always seemed estranged, so there's lots to go on from there. How did it get that way?
I wish Bioware would have given us some more insight on that, but I guess there always needs to be room for imagination.

It'd be nice to know a few things though. You mention Ashley and Jana would never be friends, but they do seem to walk the same path: going from completely mistrusting aliens to becoming friends with them, so it seems a bit odd that she and Ashley are at odds?
Did Ashley survive Virmire?
Who was Jana's love interest? I'm assuming Liara?
I'm also guessing that Balak didn't live in ME1 Bring Down The Sky DLC.

AlexiaRevan

Postby AlexiaRevan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:19 pm

I'm a Lazy person lol I picked the 1st one that had that background :lol: did I mention my saves are a mess ?

This one made it all the way to ME3 and got the genophage cure destroyed . But I never had the nerve to see the consequences in ME3...I read you end up facing in a death match Wrex and just thinking about doing that..make me feel faint . I'm a Paragon at heart!

To me the relationship between spacer Shep and her mother always seemed estranged, so there's lots to go on from there. How did it get that way

I always assumed that the death (or absence) of shepard father (cose as far as we know , they could've divorced , he isn't necessarly dead . Or is he? my memory is kinda fuzzy here ) . would have created a rift between the mother and daughter/son . Or simply due to their similar career they just drifted apart as it's seen when you contact her if you take the spacer background and call her about that veterant guy you find drunk . She clearly say ''I'm busy'' and you answer her ''I know , so I'm' . kinda like they have similar life..and there is a silent understanding .

and it isn't shocking or surprising when you get the e-mail from her in ME2 and that is it . She doesn't even call .

I wish Bioware would have given us some more insight on that, but I guess there always needs to be room for imagination.

while I wish for the same , sometimes I wonder if it'sn't fine like this . It does give us Alot to fill in . and thanx to the giant gap..we have zillions of shepard outta there .

It'd be nice to know a few things though. You mention Ashley and Jana would never be friends, but they do seem to walk the same path: going from completely mistrusting aliens to becoming friends with them, so it seems a bit odd that she and Ashley are at odds?

Your comment so remind me of the dialogue you get with her , when you compare her to Terra firma and she get all mad XD

They don't get along , because Ashley is full of flashback to this shepard . All her fears , all her mistrust , it's like being back there in her old group . It's like they are all in Ashley voicing the same stuff they did when she was young .

So it tug at many emotions at once .

But they can't be friends , because this shepard is still full of Pride . She see Ashley as her old self and she know she must change to overcome her own weakness . weakness that almost cost her everything . In doing so , she will shut down Ash in the Talk about Aliens out of fears of falling back in the same old paranoia . Especially since her position weigh heavely on her..she has to do better , she has to be better.....

I see judgementalism like any addictions or illness . It take so much to overcome it , to change and you are always on probation . A small tiny thing could make you fall back into it . A bad situation can destroy everything you worked for emotionally .

But this happen in ME1 . I remind you in ME2 the story is different . Coming back to life shatter the strongest and most pridful peoples . And well..Horizon...

nuff said lol

Anyway , hope this answer your question :)

Edit: damn..forgot the remaining questions . Sorry!

1- yes . Ash did survive wich made thing so much fun for this background . Although leaving her behind would've made thing fun too..just in the opposite way .

2- Liara . If she is a vanguard butt kicking for Justice..defintly a Vanguard for Liara .

3- Now that is an interesting story . Actually Balak Survived . It was the Most intense situation ever . She wanted to push the Trigger so much....but the faint sound of the captive banging on the window...thats the only thing that got them saved . She does end up killing him in ME3 though .
Put three humans in a room, there will be six opinions.-Samara Ѡ on the Bewbz side of the force Ѡ

Ground_Squirrel

Postby Ground_Squirrel » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:10 pm

AlexiaRevan wrote:
To me the relationship between spacer Shep and her mother always seemed estranged, so there's lots to go on from there. How did it get that way

I always assumed that the death (or absence) of shepard father (cose as far as we know , they could've divorced , he isn't necessarly dead . Or is he? my memory is kinda fuzzy here ) . would have created a rift between the mother and daughter/son . Or simply due to their similar career they just drifted apart as it's seen when you contact her if you take the spacer background and call her about that veterant guy you find drunk . She clearly say ''I'm busy'' and you answer her ''I know , so I'm' . kinda like they have similar life..and there is a silent understanding .

and it isn't shocking or surprising when you get the e-mail from her in ME2 and that is it . She doesn't even call .

I'm just assuming that Shepard's father died. Otherwise I assume we would have heard from him too, via e-mail ;)
Still, it's something that bugs me. If she and her mother got along fine, wouldn't you at least go to any length to go and see her after you've been presumed dead for 2 years? Now it's like weeks later her mom finds out and all you get is one lousy e-mail?

AlexiaRevan wrote:

while I wish for the same , sometimes I wonder if it'sn't fine like this . It does give us Alot to fill in . and thanx to the giant gap..we have zillions of shepard outta there .

Yeah and all those fanfic writers out there wouldn't have something to write about.

AlexiaRevan wrote:

Your comment so remind me of the dialogue you get with her , when you compare her to Terra firma and she get all mad XD

They don't get along , because Ashley is full of flashback to this shepard . All her fears , all her mistrust , it's like being back there in her old group . It's like they are all in Ashley voicing the same stuff they did when she was young .

So it tug at many emotions at once .

But they can't be friends , because this shepard is still full of Pride . She see Ashley as her old self and she know she must change to overcome her own weakness . weakness that almost cost her everything . In doing so , she will shut down Ash in the Talk about Aliens out of fears of falling back in the same old paranoia . Especially since her position weigh heavely on her..she has to do better , she has to be better.....

I see judgementalism like any addictions or illness . It take so much to overcome it , to change and you are always on probation . A small tiny thing could make you fall back into it . A bad situation can destroy everything you worked for emotionally .

But this happen in ME1 . I remind you in ME2 the story is different . Coming back to life shatter the strongest and most pridful peoples . And well..Horizon...

nuff said lol

Okay, I was only referring to Ash's point of view on aliens, which is much more nuanced than Terra Firma's stance on the issue.
The fact that Ashley distances herself from them is one of the main reasons why I don't consider her to be racist. To me it all boils down to mistrust.
Of course when it comes to Shepard and Ashley not getting along there can be many more reasons why they don't get along nicely.
It's nice to have more insight on why Jana and Ashley don't.

AlexiaRevan wrote:

1- yes . Ash did survive wich made thing so much fun for this background . Although leaving her behind would've made thing fun too..just in the opposite way .

2- Liara . If she is a vanguard butt kicking for Justice..defintly a Vanguard for Liara .

3- Now that is an interesting story . Actually Balak Survived . It was the Most intense situation ever . She wanted to push the Trigger so much....but the faint sound of the captive banging on the window...thats the only thing that got them saved . She does end up killing him in ME3 though .

Interesting. Out of 7 playthroughs poor Kaidan only survived Virmire 2 times. Poor guy :(
One time because he was my Shepard's LI during ME1 and the 2nd time (my latest playthrough in fact) because I felt bad about having killed him off most of the time lol

Hmmm... so far Balak lived in all my playthroughs. I didn't actually know you could kill him off (or maybe I just never considered that option) in ME3 :o
In my latest playthrough I did kill off Rana Thanoptis in ME1 lol

AlexiaRevan

Postby AlexiaRevan » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:22 pm

I'm just assuming that Shepard's father died. Otherwise I assume we would have heard from him too, via e-mail ;)
Still, it's something that bugs me. If she and her mother got along fine, wouldn't you at least go to any length to go and see her after you've been presumed dead for 2 years? Now it's like weeks later her mom finds out and all you get is one lousy e-mail?

work before anything . I admit...she couldve at least called instead of sending you an email . Or sending you a number where you can call her !! if she cant contact a cerbrus ship..

Ya know..anything !

But ya know BW..........lol I'm still smoking over the akwardness with Shiala lol

Okay, I was only referring to Ash's point of view on aliens, which is much more nuanced than Terra Firma's stance on the issue.
The fact that Ashley distances herself from them is one of the main reasons why I don't consider her to be racist. To me it all boils down to mistrust.
Of course when it comes to Shepard and Ashley not getting along there can be many more reasons why they don't get along nicely.
It's nice to have more insight on why Jana and Ashley don't.

she doesn't come off as your heavy racist right in your face . Ash I mean..

But you can't ignore that her mistrust being channelled always toward no humans...Make her one by default .

Like I said before , if her mistrust was toward humans as well...then we just call her paranoiac and leave it at that .

Interesting. Out of 7 playthroughs poor Kaidan only survived Virmire 2 times. Poor guy :(
One time because he was my Shepard's LI during ME1 and the 2nd time (my latest playthrough in fact) because I felt bad about having killed him off most of the time lol

Hmmm... so far Balak lived in all my playthroughs. I didn't actually know you could kill him off (or maybe I just never considered that option) in ME3 :o
In my latest playthrough I did kill off Rana Thanoptis in ME1 lol

yeah you can kill Balak in ME3 during the sabotage quest on citadel . Although it cost you . As in..if ya dont kill him..the batarian merchant nearby will unlock something to sell..if ya kill him..ya get squat .

As for Kaidan..due to his damn bug hitting on femshep..as if she did his romance..he get to stay with the nuke . especially if I'm romancing Liara .

Ash get shot in ME3 :lol: or sent to hackette..depand who I'm playing .

Same with Thana...let her run (its hilarious seeing her back in ME2) or shoot her in ME1 .

Ground_Squirrel

Postby Ground_Squirrel » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:32 pm

AlexiaRevan wrote:But ya know BW..........lol I'm still smoking over the akwardness with Shiala lol

Guess we'd better hope and pray the cheeky asari in ME:A will be available for your sake ;)

AlexiaRevan wrote:she doesn't come off as your heavy racist right in your face . Ash I mean..

But you can't ignore that her mistrust being channelled always toward no humans...Make her one by default .

Like I said before , if her mistrust was toward humans as well...then we just call her paranoiac and leave it at that .

Paranoid it is then ;)
My impression is that she doesn't trust humans either, since the consequences of her grandfather's surrender on Shanxi go really far.
She keeps getting passed over for promotions, despite the fact that she works really hard and her scores being exemplary. I wouldn't trust people anymore either, since the same thing happened to her dad.
Shepard is happy to have her on the Normandy and at least sees her for what she's worth. She even states she finds it odd that Ashley's never worked with aliens before, because of her high technical scores.
I really think that Shepard is the one who gets Ashley to have some faith in people again, but then the collector attack happens and 2 years later Shepard is suddenly working with Cerberus. That must have been a real kick in the stomach for Ash. Pushing her right back to square one.

I know some of the responses to the dialogue options when talking to Shepard can be really snide, but my conversations with Ashley never worked out that way.
One other thing that puts me off the racism track is the fact that Ashley suggests that Shepard checks up on Liara after Benezia's death. I'm not sure a racist would have cared.

Anyway, I guess that is my (and generally my Sheps) interpretation of Ashley's character. That doesn't of course mean it has to be Jana's. It's an RPG after all.

AlexiaRevan wrote:yeah you can kill Balak in ME3 during the sabotage quest on citadel . Although it cost you . As in..if ya dont kill him..the batarian merchant nearby will unlock something to sell..if ya kill him..ya get squat .

I'll see about that when (and if) my latest Shep finally makes it to ME3.

AlexiaRevan wrote:Ash get shot in ME3 :lol: or sent to hackette..depand who I'm playing .

I'm crying now :cry:

AlexiaRevan wrote:Same with Thana...let her run (its hilarious seeing her back in ME2) or shoot her in ME1 .

Yeah, I kinda miss seeing her in ME2 for the comic effect.

AlexiaRevan

Postby AlexiaRevan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:54 am

Guess we'd better hope and pray the cheeky asari in ME:A will be available for your sake ;)

Pfff I'm not picky . Any lady would do . As long as she isn't like Traynor (cliché) , like Yaomen (a droid) or like Ash (paranoiac) . Or like allers (a fling you can't even brag about :lol: ) .

Kidding . well I be happy with watever they give us . As long as it's new . We need something new , cose they have been copy pasting way too much from one game to another .

But what I miss mostly . Is the fact that Shiala could've had a bigger role if brough to the Normandy . We could've had a side quest looking into Indoctrination . Hear more about the inside of a reaper . Get more infos about Matriarch and see her with Liara .
And last..another romance :mrgreen: what ? if she was I would've said yes lol she is gorgeous !

Paranoid it is then ;)
My impression is that she doesn't trust humans either, since the consequences of her grandfather's surrender on Shanxi go really far.
She keeps getting passed over for promotions, despite the fact that she works really hard and her scores being exemplary. I wouldn't trust people anymore either, since the same thing happened to her dad.
Shepard is happy to have her on the Normandy and at least sees her for what she's worth. She even states she finds it odd that Ashley's never worked with aliens before, because of her high technical scores.
I really think that Shepard is the one who gets Ashley to have some faith in people again, but then the collector attack happens and 2 years later Shepard is suddenly working with Cerberus. That must have been a real kick in the stomach for Ash. Pushing her right back to square one.

I know some of the responses to the dialogue options when talking to Shepard can be really snide, but my conversations with Ashley never worked out that way.
One other thing that puts me off the racism track is the fact that Ashley suggests that Shepard checks up on Liara after Benezia's death. I'm not sure a racist would have cared.

Are you saying she actually sided with the peoples who condamned her Grand father actions on Shanxi ???

Cose that's how it sound . And would explain why she is Loyal to the Alliance even though they hate her gut . (traitor!!) lol

Cose that's what Bothered me the Most . If you are black Listed , your whole family is , why are YOU LOYAL TO THE ALLIANCE ! WHY!!!

Argh..drive me nuts .

Anyway, I guess that is my (and generally my Sheps) interpretation of Ashley's character. That doesn't of course mean it has to be Jana's. It's an RPG after all.

I have maybe one or two shepard who are nice to her...

But seriously , I feel like a hypocrite and a butt kisser . I just don't like her .

I'm crying now :cry:

Awww

I only did it once ! and I didn't like it..so she always end up sent to Hackett :mrgreen:

At least she doesn't hit on my shepard..unlike Kaidan lol

Ground_Squirrel

Postby Ground_Squirrel » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:07 am

AlexiaRevan wrote:Are you saying she actually sided with the peoples who condamned her Grand father actions on Shanxi ???

Cose that's how it sound . And would explain why she is Loyal to the Alliance even though they hate her gut . (traitor!!) lol

Cose that's what Bothered me the Most . If you are black Listed , your whole family is , why are YOU LOYAL TO THE ALLIANCE ! WHY!!!

Argh..drive me nuts .

I thought about that too.
Technically her father was the first to “side” with the Alliance after her grandfather got kicked out.
Her father decided to continue the family tradition despite what happened with his father. Maybe he thought that if he broke the family tradition it would mean one more victory for the Alliance?
And maybe he hoped he could clear the family name?

I suppose this would have been Ashley's reasoning as well. She was not going to be the one to break the family tradition either, despite how hard the Alliance was going to make it for her.
It was mentioned that the Williams' women are a decisive bunch...

AlexiaRevan

Postby AlexiaRevan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Ground_Squirrel wrote:
AlexiaRevan wrote:Are you saying she actually sided with the peoples who condamned her Grand father actions on Shanxi ???

Argh..drive me nuts .

I thought about that too.
Technically her father was the first to “side” with the Alliance after her grandfather got kicked out.
Her father decided to continue the family tradition despite what happened with his father. Maybe he thought that if he broke the family tradition it would mean one more victory for the Alliance?
And maybe he hoped he could clear the family name?

I suppose this would have been Ashley's reasoning as well. She was not going to be the one to break the family tradition either, despite how hard the Alliance was going to make it for her.
It was mentioned that the Williams' women are a decisive bunch...

That's one stupid tradition..at least that's what I think . Her grand father was a Hero..not a traitor..sheesh...

Ground_Squirrel

Postby Ground_Squirrel » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:50 pm

I'd say he was a hero too, but you know what it's like... sometimes no matter how hard you try there are always people who won't appreciate it.

Return to “Character profiles and backgrounds”