Fallout Effect

A forum to discuss the Mass Effect role playing game hosted at femshep.com
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JamieCOTC
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fallout Effect

Postby JamieCOTC » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:33 pm

"Liara? Adrienne? Girls? Anybody?" UJ looked around. She had traversed to the estate only to find herself in the middle of the Washington DC mall, but not just any mall. This one looked like it had seen much better days. The Washington Monument looked like a Thresher Maw had taken pot shots at it. The water was a putrid green and al around her was nothing but devastation.

"Well ... shit."

In the distance she could hear screaming, gunfire, then from the corner of the building, something huge started running at her. Something green, shouting gibberish about dismembering her. Another popped up from one of the many trenches. UJ turned to run and -- THUM!

Her body skid across the mall as a Super Mutant wielding a sledgehammer cried out in triumph. UJ's limp body lay seemingly lifeless for many hours.

---

UJ woke up in a strange bed. It wasn't the first time for such an occurrence, but typically there was a woman lying in the bed next to her when it happened. There was a woman involved, however, standing just a few feet from the bed. UJ looked around. The room smelled of sterile disinfectant and grime, a strange combination to be certain. The walls were dirty, crumbling the ceiling looked as if it had been patched up ten different times in as many days. From her vantage point the Spectre could see a gurney and other medical apparatus in the room and something that looked like a computer. The thing resembled computers she had seen in history books, big, clunky, bright green text on the screen. The blonde woman glaring at UJ had the face of someone hardened by life, deep creases dug into her skin, chiseled in many years of war. She wore a fancy blue robe, bulky, layered on top of some armor and tattered to near shreds at the fringes.

"Who are you? What unit are you with?" the woman soaked her questions with a certain ferocity and venom. There was hate behind her eyes. Hate for UJ.

For a second, UJ thought she would spit out the standard name, rank and serial number. It was an almost certainty she was a prisoner in whatever hellhole she had landed in. Instead she played it like she always did.

"Puddintane. Ask me again I'll tell you the same."

Her smart mouth got UJ the back of a hand to her face. The blonde hit hard and fast. "You want to be a wise ass, fine. We'll feed you back to the Frankensteins. Now. What is your name?"

UJ rubbed lip, erasing the speck of blood from the crease of her mouth. She scoured the room for an out, a way to punch the angry woman and go, but the numerous voices and the clanking of several bodies walking around in giant hulking power armor made her think otherwise.

"I'm Commander Shepard. I'm with Shepard Tower assigned there as an agent. Where am I, if I may ask?"

The woman stepped away for an instant, taking another robed figure to the side. The robed man looked much older than the woman, was balding and a bit sickly looking. The two talked in hushed whispers for less than a minute before the woman returned to UJ.

"You're in the Citadel, home of the Lyon's Pride and the East Coast Botherhood of Steel. I'm Sarah Lyons ... Elder Lyons to you." The woman's tone was one of pride but soon turned back to a sour tone. "Your Tower. It's not Tenpenny or one of those satcoms?"

UJ stared at the woman blankly. She had never heard of Tenpenny Tower and satcom was a word from days long gone by. It was certain the Citadel she was currently in had no relation to the Prothean space station she once called home. Since fighting her way out wasn't an option, the Commander tried reason. "Look, Elder Lyons, you seem to be in charge here, and I get that you may be in some kind of situation, but I can assure you that I mean you no harm. Let me go and I'll be on my way." Her tone was reassuring, but firm.

Sarah motioned for the other robed figure to leave the room as she shut the door behind him. Her face became sullen and angry. "You're right. We do have a situation. A dire one. A few months ago my father, Elder Owyn Lyons, died in his sleep. Since then, we've been getting reports of the Outcasts moving in and a potential civil war on our hands. There's disillusion in the ranks here, and I'm doing all I can to hold things together, and ..." Sarah looked back at UJ, her eyes now more sad than angry, a deep sadness of something lost. "And then you showed up and dammed if you don't look just like her."

"Her?" The Commander asked delicately, still trying to earn Sarah's trust. Sarah Lyons took a seat next to UJ's bed.

"We never knew her name, which, I know is odd, but after her Dad died, she didn't feel much like digging up the past. We didn't pry. Some called her the Lone Wanderer. I called her 101 and eventually ... partner. It would take me hours to list all her heroic deeds, but the one thing she will be remembered for the most ... giving the Capital Wasteland hope and pure, fresh, clean water." Elder Lyons continued at length, recounting the battle of the Jefferson Memorial, how 101 nearly died as she entered a radiation flooded containment area to insert a miracle cure for the area's lakes, rivers and water supply. How 101 one continued to fight the Enclave that had tried to take over DC. And how she finally met her end.

"We cured the radiation all those years ago, but what we didn't foresee was its long term effects. Can you believe it? 101 damn near took on every bad guy in the Capital and she's taken out by a one inch lump of mutated gunk in her brain. If Dr. Li hadn't left ... well. No sense in dwelling on it." Sarah rose from her seat, her eyes met UJ's as the two exchanged a genuine moment, neither backing down until Sarah nodded. "Maybe you are her, or her spirit or maybe I'm just crazy, but I'll let you go. Just don't come back. Ever."

UJ nodded. "Deal. I won't trouble you again." Sarah lent the Spectre a hand, helping her off the dingy bed. "And ... I'm sorry for your --"

Elder Lyons stopped the commander abruptly. "You're sorry for my loss. Between 101 and Dad, I've heard that line enough to last me a lifetime. Now, come on."

The two women made their way through the halls of the Citadel going from A Ring to B Ring, past the remains of Liberty Prime, stopping off to issue orders on behalf of the visiting Spectre. "You'll need supplies if you're venturing out of the Citadel." As a Knight went off the fetch provisions as ordered, UJ took it all in, the dirt, the sweat, blood, smells of decay and grime. The whole building looked like it was about to fall apart, yet no one paid it any mind. Most of the Knights, as Sarah called them, walked around stoically, their minds currently on other matters. There was a tension in the air too, like everyone knew something was coming. Too UJ, all the tubes, large electronics and power armor was completely alien, an amalgamation of 50s scifi and an apocalypse.

"You said something about Franksteins?" UJ asked almost absentmindedly.

"Super Mutants." Sarah replied, expecting the explanation to end there.

"Super ... What?" UJ stopped, looked at the frazzled blonde.

Sara cocked her head curiously. "Super Mutants. Big giant green monsters that kill anything on sight. In fact, that's how we found you. One of my Knights saw a Greenie spread you all across the mall, but you survived. Lucky, I guess." Lyon could see none of what she was saying registered with the Spectre. "You must not be from around here ... or anywhere." Finally the two stepped out onto the Citadel courtyard. The smell of death, sickness, disease, blood, every aspect of war hit her in the face at once. UJ looked around, the men and woman in power armor sparring with one another, a sergeant spitting out orders to the new recruits, the sky a dirty grey and the ground, dead and lifeless.

"What happened here?" UJ stood motionless trying to process what she was seeing, smelling, hearing. Sarah could see the woman was flabbergasted as a Knight ran up to her, handing the leader a large duffle sack and a rifle. Sarah handed the stunned women the provisions. "Was there a war?"

Sarah glared at UJ. "Was there a war? Where the hell have you been? Hell, yes there was a war and it destroyed the world."

UJ nodded, know she knew what was going on. This wasn't her world. This wasn't her earth. Somehow, some way, she was in another timeline or another universe. "I have to get home," UJ said meekly, taking the rifle and the bag.

"I should have known it. The clothes, the fancy pipboy. You came from a vault." Sarah could have kicked herself as she chuckled. "Sorry, Kid. There's no way I'm letting a vault dweller out into the wastes."

"OUTCASTS!"

The Knights and Paladins in the courtyard began to scramble to position as a lookout screamed the dreaded name. "Keep the rifle, but stay in cover!" Sarah ran off, grabbing what looked to be a makeshift energy weapon, her venom now directed at something else, a much bigger threat. UJ turned around to see how she could help. From a window on the second floor she spotted a flash of light. it wasn't directed at the oncoming enemy, but Sarah.

"Sarah!! Look out!!"

A crack rang out as Lyons dove for cover. Another crack burst from the window, this time directed at UJ. The bullet nicked her shoulder. She spun around, her body flared with a bluish aura, sending a warp into the second story window. There was a crash and a scream as the would-be assailant went down.
As the Outcasts pressed on the Citadel, neither Sarah or the others had time to question just what UJ had just done. But there would be questions. While Sarah was grateful to be alive, she know had an unknown in her midst as well as a traitor. First they had to deal with the outcasts, who had cooped Enclave technology. It wasn't just Knights ad Paladins pressing, but trucks, tanks and ... trained Deathclaws.

--

End of Part One

Ground_Squirrel

Re: Fallout Effect

Postby Ground_Squirrel » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Sounds intriguing.
What happened?

JamieCOTC
Site Admin

Postby JamieCOTC » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Ground_Squirrel

Postby Ground_Squirrel » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Here's to hoping there'll be more then.

Return to “femshep Role Play”