Anyone playing Fallout 4?

A forum to discuss the FALLOUT game series.
Ground_Squirrel

Anyone playing Fallout 4?

Postby Ground_Squirrel » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:21 pm

Noticed it's on sale on Steam, so I'm wondering if I should get it?
The thing I worry about is that it's one of those games that cause a lot of frustration.

I barely played Fallout 3 on Xbox 360. I gave up rather after being killed numerous times by a wild cat :oops:

JamieCOTC
Site Admin

Re: Anyone playing Fallout 4?

Postby JamieCOTC » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:36 pm

Mole rats. One of the first things you'll encounter in FO4 is being ravaged by mole rats. I'd say that FO4 is actually harder than FO3, but that depends on what the difficulty level. On easy mode you can take down one of the more harder enemies relatively easy. I found this little description that seems to size it up about right. Swan is one of the more harder enemies you face.

Gameplay changes that affect you as you change difficulty from Easy -> Very Hard -> Survival. I have tested most of this in game in a simple way. I've brought my melee character and have quicksaved before a scripted Swan fight. I found out a few things:

Damage you deal is affected as you progress (Damage dealt is lowered)
On Easy, Swans for me were taking 4 light hits to kill.
On Hard, Swans for me were taking 20+ light hits to kill.
Damage you take is affected as you progress
On Easy, Swans could hit me for as low as 12% of my total HP. HP values were the same in both tests
On Hard, Swans could insta-kill me at times, like the Giants in Skyrim.
Spawn rate of Legendary enemies (and thusly 'drop' rates of Legendary gear) is affected as you progress from Easy -> Hard
On Easy, Legendary spawns are very "hard" (haha) to come by. Legendary gear is infrequently found.
On Hard, Legendary spawns just seem a bit more plentiful. Legendary gear is found more often.
EXP stays the same. Changing the difficulty did not change the EXP rewards from a quest, or from killing an enemy, or from passing a speech check.
Explosives become a godsend in Survival mode. The damage is heavily amped up and makes dispatching of tougher enemies like AI turrets and Super Mutants a little bit easier

Survival mode is even worse. Consider Survival mode "Extreme" mode. It features extremely tough enemies, as every single enemy gets huge damage and HP buffs, turning them into deadly bullet sponges. Ammo conservation actually becomes a thing in my survival playthrough, and in terms of playstyle, I found hanging back, slowly going through areas, and backtracking if enemies came a lot more useful. Explosives became very important, as well as mines, which were excellent at covering your ass when a Super Mutant is chasing you down a hallway and your entire clip of Laser Rifle ammo does absolutely nothing.

The thing about FO4 is that, well, story hasn't always been Bethesda's strong suit, but FO4 (if you love that world) gives you a wonderful playground to experience and build in. The workstation is probably the best part about it and then there are the mods. A lot of great mods for FO4. And you get Jack (Courtney Taylor) doing the voice of the main female protagonist.

My Sole Survivor, moddded all to hell. :)

Tup

Postby Tup » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:56 pm

The problem with Fallout series is the setting. For some reason I just don't seem to like post apocalyptic setting and the visual style. So it's still on my maybe list, if it gets cheap enough.

JamieCOTC
Site Admin

Postby JamieCOTC » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:39 pm

Tup wrote:The problem with Fallout series is the setting. For some reason I just don't seem to like post apocalyptic setting and the visual style. So it's still on my maybe list, if it gets cheap enough.

I get that and for the record I do prefer The Elder Scrolls series. That said, I sort of grew up on movies and TV set in post apocalyptic worlds and F:NV is possibly one of my favorite RPGs of all time just for the number of possibilities that game can go. For me, there's no deed for CODF when I can just crank up Fallout and go shoot random people. Great stress reveler. :D

Ground_Squirrel

Postby Ground_Squirrel » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:11 pm

Hmmm... I think the post apocalyptic setting is quite interesting, but if the story isn't that great it does put me off.
Gameplay is important, but if someone isn't even able to finish a game on the easiest difficulty that's a sad thing. A bit of challenge is good, but not till the point of not being able to finish a game. It's bad if you fork out a lot of money to play a certain game and you're not able to finish it on even the easiest difficulty. Not everyone is a die hard gamer...

JamieCOTC
Site Admin

Postby JamieCOTC » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:43 pm

Ground_Squirrel wrote:Hmmm... I think the post apocalyptic setting is quite interesting, but if the story isn't that great it does put me off.
Gameplay is important, but if someone isn't even able to finish a game on the easiest difficulty that's a sad thing. A bit of challenge is good, but not till the point of not being able to finish a game. It's bad if you fork out a lot of money to play a certain game and you're not able to finish it on even the easiest difficulty. Not everyone is a die hard gamer...

There are a couple of gun mods you can get that make Fallout 4 pretty much a cake walk.

youtu.be/ZT-piizC9OI
The Gatling Rifle can get you through anything. lol

LadyALy

Postby LadyALy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:13 am

Same here - postapocalytic and Zombie games aren't mine... SO I never tried Fallout series.

I tried *Second Life* and it was the biggest mistake ever .... :roll:

Sinapus

Postby Sinapus » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:33 pm

*glances at Fallout 4 entry in Steam library*

"You've played 309 hours."

:shock:

Yeah, I think I've played it quite a bit.

I got it when it was on sale around New Years and got the season pass so I have all the DLC. Egads there's a TON of things to do and I've barely cleared part 1 of the main storyline. (Restarted after trying out some mods, now trying to finish a game but keep getting distra-OOOooo... SHINY!)

Sinapus

Postby Sinapus » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:36 pm

JamieCOTC wrote:Image
My Sole Survivor, moddded all to hell. :)

Sirius Assault Suit? W/O the helmet?

(Me? Load mods? Er, yeah.)

JamieCOTC
Site Admin

Postby JamieCOTC » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:32 pm

Sinapus wrote:
JamieCOTC wrote:*snip*

Sirius Assault Suit? W/O the helmet?

(Me? Load mods? Er, yeah.)

Yeah. I love that armor. It's feminine and functional, though the boob plates are a little weird. I put this on Katherine to do the smaller quests. I took a glance at my own Fallout 4 entry in the Steam library. 632 hours. About a 100 hours less that Skyrim. Yeah, I played a lot too. lol.

Return to “FALLOUT”